Monday, April 8, 2013

JCCC3 Cruise Journal / Day 2

When I got back from my vacation two months ago, I wanted to write up my experiences and share my journal right away. But I got sick and life sucked me back in and I wasn't able to overcome that and get back to it. Until now. Posted in real-time fashion, I hope you enjoy reliving JCCC3 with me two months after the fact.

--------

Day 2

  • Cocoa Cay
  • Paul & Storm concert

On today's glass-bottom boat excursion on the Bahamas, I held a sea urchin, 2 star fish, some conchs, etc. Ate a piece of fresh conch.

Sea Urchin
Sea urchin--it moved in your hand!


Yesterday Jim walked 7 round trip miles to get a shovel and some buckets so today he could make 3 chess pieces in the sand. He received many comments, compliments, and questions even though the official sand castle building contest judging never took place.

Jim begins work on the Rook


Overheard at the Beach:
Dude 1: Spray paint my back again.
Dude 2, spraying friend's back with sun screen: I signed my name. Is that okay?

Overheard at Dinner:
Jim: Are you making fun of my lack of self-confidence?
Me: You can easily figure out all of my social anxieties to make fun of me for.
Kate: It's all on her blog!

My calf muscles are so sore! Mostly from the stairs, but I suspect the beach didn't help much, either. [I feel like I should mention that my sister had joined the Elevator Temperance Brigade, so we were exclusively taking the stairs on the ship.]

Not so sure about Hodgman's music choices during the dance party. Kate, Sarah, and I wanted to dance, but we weren't feeling it.

The key to wanting your vacation to end is leaving someone at home you miss.

Boat is very rocky today. So far we haven't felt seasick, but it's so bad, I wouldn't be surprised if we did. Jessica claims it feels fun. I told her it was what it felt like to be drunk and she said something like, “Now I understand!” [because she doesn't drink].

Wish we had more friends here. Like, more of the people who are already friends. They would like it here and it would be fun.

When we met and were talking to Andy, and I said I looked him up to see if he currently worked at the genome lab in which he was standing in the picture I saw, he asked what I found out. I said that he didn't now, but may have in the past, and he said I was correct, but didn't say more. It was fun of him to ask what I'd found out as opposed to just telling me, but also a very tricksy way to avoid saying more. Maybe he didn't want to talk about work on vacation. I guess I didn't really either, I was just nerdily excited to point out that my new company makes the fancy science machine I'd seen in his picture. I only sort of get the classic nerdy programmer jokes that abound at these things, so it was nice to have a science nerd connection. Although, who am I kidding? I'm just a science nerd poser, too! Where are the metadata nerds on this ship?

2 comments:

Kate Unger said...

I'm loving reading all of these posts. It's almost better that you waited to put them up.

Andy said...

Happy to tell you anything!